Friday, December 19, 2008

Five Senses Friday

It’s been a while since I did Five Senses Friday, and due to popular demand by one person, I figured I really should get on that and start writing regularly. It really is the best way to tell everyone what I’ve been up to on a weekly basis.
Tasting


Five Guys: Burger and Fries. I don’t know if many of you know about this place, they just appeared into Utah about six months ago. I discovered them from the girl that cuts my hair in Murray, she told me it was the best burger she has ever eaten. Based off a recommendation like that how could I refuse myself the joy of the possible best burger I could eat. Now to give you an idea it’s a lot like In and Out Burger, but so much better! So I go and order this fabled “best burger;” go out to my car and begin to eat. Now I know this sounds like an exaggeration… but I swear by the Hammer of Thor it’s the truth, I wept after eating this burger… I did! It was so good it brought tears to my eyes. It was glorious!


Smelling



I found a new cologne that I really like, and according to the few ladies that occasionally grace me with their presence it’s a good one. Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana. It’s very vice, and they gave me a free bath towel when I bought the big bottle of it. Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind getting a free gift; even if it is a pretty cheap towel, it’s better than not getting a free towel at all. Now I have a new towel to use when I dye my hair.


Feeling

Cold, from shoveling; today is the first day that it has actually snowed for more than a couple hours in Bountiful. Finally a Christmas with snow! Granted I’m going to Nevada for Christmas and will probably be playing golf the next day, but still I love looking out the window and seeing snow falling. Really gets me in the mood for the holidays and Hazelnut hot chocolate. Mmmm hot chocolate… I’m going to have to go to Starbucks when I finish this.


Seeing



I found a new TV show that I’ve have fallen in love with! It’s an older British show called SPACED by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright (The same guys that gifted the world with “Shaun of the Dead” and “Hot Fuzz”). I first heard about it when Shaun of the Dead came out back in 2004. But I never got around to watching it till just recently. And it’s pure genius! I’m upset that I’m just now watching it. It’s about two strangers who meet each other in a coffee shop looking for new apartments and stumble across the perfect flat, only it’s being rented out to couples, so they decided to fake being a couple to get it. And try to play this lie off to their land lord upstairs. The show is so random and over exaggerates suspense, even in scenes where there is no suspense. There’s a segment where Simon Pegg and his best friend go paintballing and his friend sacrifices himself to save Simon, and what follows is a very dramatic oscar worthy “death” scene ending with Simon looking up to the sky with tears in his eyes screaming “NOOOO!” as the camera pans up and circles. Now just because this is a British show don’t let that put you off; it’s not like the British Office where it comes with a three page dictionary to their slang. They talk like you and I were to have a conversation, only with a British accent.


Hearing



This past Tuesday All-American Rejects came out with their third full length album "When the World Comes Down." Once again AAR has blessed the world with yet another radio friendly album (radio friendly, meaning every song has a catchy hook to it becoming a potential radio single). It’s been three years since their album "Move Along" came out, and the altern-pop/semi-emo culture has held its breath. But has it been worth it? Comparing to their last album "Move Along," it is a great album, following the same formula of heartbreak, heartache and other cheerless conditions of the cardiac organ. My only disappointment of this album is that with three years in the making, the sound hasn’t really changed. There are the additions of strings, and a duet featuring a soothing female voice. I feel the band hasn’t really grown much. I would have liked to see the band try a few tracks breaking out of their element. I love AAR’s first two CD’s and this album isn’t any different from them. Out of a five star rating, I would have to give this album 4 stars. It’s a great CD, just more of the same. A great band or artist can reinvent their sound with still being able to pay homage to their original sound. A perfect example of this is Kanye West. As much of an ass that he is he makes amazing music.